History of the Library in New Sharon, Maine
The Town of New Sharon has had a library since the 1850's. A Mr. James Savage of Southboro, Massachusetts bequeathed the town $500.00 provided that the town raise a matching sum for the purchase of books for a town library. At the next town meeting, these conditions were accepted and the library opened with over 100 volumes and on March 19, 1859 the town voted to accept the $1000.00 as a trust fund for the library. For many years the New Sharon Library was housed in a very small, historic building. There was no water and until recently, heat was provided by a wood stove. The old library (now the Historical Society) was located on busy U.S. Route 2 and parking was limited.
Mr. Jim Ditzler was a resident of the town and had been a trustee of the library. His heirs offered the town a gift of land and property to be used as a library. At town meeting 2000, this offer was accepted by the citizens of New Sharon. This is a wonderful opportunity for the town. The building will more than triple the previous library space. It is in a quiet and beautiful location with ample parking and good recreational opportunities.
The Ditzler heirs gave $15,000 for renovations and there have been grants received from Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation, MBNA, Franklin Savings Bank, Bass, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Community support for the new library has been tremendous. Volunteers have donated many hours of work and materials.
The library in New Sharon has always welcomed everyone and with this exciting, new opportunity, we sincerely hope that many people will visit and use our library.
Copyright © 2001 New Sharon Jim Ditzler Memorial Library